BELTON, TX – Austin College squared off against the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor in a rematch from earlier in the fall when the two teams met at the UT-Dallas Invitational Tournament.
Though UMHB got the better of the 'Roos today, the level of competition between the two squads was at a feverish level as AC has just come from their match against Southwestern ready for some more tennis.
The Kangaroos doubles teams got out to early leads against the Crusaders on all three courts, but could not sustain those breaks of serve to close out the matches, falling behind 3-0 into singles play.
Cedric Ambulo, facing a familiar opponent, struck the ball with heavy topspin from the baseline and carved up crisp volleys at the net to take UMHB's Wilding to 11-9 in the second set tiebreaker after dropping the first set 6-0.
Erik Meendsen, fresh off his marathon three-hour three-setter against Southwestern, battled fatigue and he fell 6-4, 6-2 just before darkness settled over Belton. Both Zach Bomar and David Smith would have their matches suspended due to visibility conditions.
The 'Roos are off for spring break, but play their next match at home on Friday, March 13 at 12:00pm against the University of the Southwest (NM).
Austin College 0, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor 7
March 7, 2015
UMHB Li Tennis Courts
1. Scott Wilding (UMHB) def. Cedric Ambulo (AC) 6-0, 7-6 (11-9)
2. Jacob Stamps (UMHB) def. Erik Meendsen (AC) 7-5, 6-2
3. Mark Johnson (UMHB) def. Preston Glasscock (AC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Brendan Thompson (UMHB) def. Jeff Kubena (AC) 6-2, 6-2
5. John Martin (UMHB) leads David Smith (AC) 6-1, unfinished
6. Tevin Ogo (UMHB) leads Zach Bomar (AC) 4-3, unfinished
1. Stamps/Wilding (UMHB) def. Ambulo/Meendsen (AC) 8-5
2. Martin/Thompson (UMHB) def. Glasscock/Kubena (AC) 9-7
3. Johnson/Ogo (UMHB) def. Morgan/Oxenreiter (AC) 8-6
Austin College: 0-3 (0-1)
University of Mary Hardin-Baylor: 2-2 (0-0)
0Order of Finish: Doubles (3, 1, 2) Singles (3, 4, 1, 2, 5, 6)