SHERMAN, TX – On Senior Day, the Austin College Men's Tennis Team claimed their second win of the season over the Eagles of Texas A&M – Texarkana.
Seniors Ben Boerner (Keller, TX – Keller Central) and David Smith (San Antonio, TX – Alamo Heights) were both honored for their four years of service to the Kangaroo Men's Tennis Program and had the opportunity to compete in doubles and singles one last time on their home tennis courts.
"There isn't much that can be said about [David and Ben] that isn't already known," said Coach Dodd. "They made it easy for me to be their coach. I always knew they had my back and they always knew I had theirs. What we will become is a direct result of the leadership they showed this season and I'm proud to have had them as my players and co-captains."
Although the match was decided due to the number of available opponents, the 'Roos competed hard in their final home contest, and Boerner was able to find a win at Line 3 singles 6-0, 6-2. Smith and Boerner were close at Line 1 doubles with a 9-7 loss in a back-and-forth, break and break-back match with the Eagles, but could not close out a tough Eagle effort.
Austin College hits the road this weekend, scheduled to play against Centenary College in Shreveport, LA on Saturday, April 18th at 1:00pm.
Austin College 6, The University of Texas at Dallas 0
April 17, 2015
Elizabeth Russell Tennis Complex
1. Mitchell Vechione (TAMU-T) def. Cedric Ambulo (AC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Sammy Hogan (TAMU-T) def. David Smith (AC) 6-3, 6-2
3. Ben Boerner (AC) def. Matt Teeters (TAMU-T) 6-0, 6-2
4. Daniel Oxenreiter (AC) def. No Player (TAMU-T) walkover
5. Jacob Morgan (AC) def. No Player (TAMU-T) walkover
6. Jeff Kubena (AC) def. No Player (TAMU-T) walkover
1. Hogan/Vechione (TAMU-T) def. Smith/Boerner 9-7
2. Oxenreiter/Meendsen (AC) def. No Player/No Player (TAMU-T) walkover
3. Kubena/Morgan (AC) def. No Player/No Player (TAMU-T) walkover
Austin College: 2-10 (0-3)
Texas A&M University – Texarkana:
Order of Finish: Doubles (1), Singles (3, 1, 2)