SHERMAN, Tex. - The Austin College Men's Tennis Team fell to Southwestern University in their home and SCAC opening match this last Saturday, but not before improving on last year's result in a competitive way.
Doubles did not go well for the 'Roos, as the Men's team lost all 3 matches by a combined score of 24-7. "We didn't go out and play our game that we practice on a regular basis," commented Coach Ryan Dodd.
Singles play was vastly improved, however, as the 'Roos took 2 of the 6 lines to close out the match. Preston Glasscock won a third-set super tiebreak over Nakayama 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7), and Jeff Kubena posted the result of the day, winning a marathon third-set super tiebreak over Hall 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (15-13).
The Kangaroos lost a quick 9-0 decision just over 1 year ago to the Pirates, and with this 7-2 result on Saturday, Austin College is quickly learning that its program is improving its competitiveness with some of the top teams in the region.
Austin College returns to the tennis courts on the road this Saturday, 2/20 against UT-Tyler and LeTourneau at 9am and 3pm respectively.
Austin College 2, Southwestern University 7
Elizabeth Russell Tennis Center
1. Niko Snovely (SW) def. Cedric Ambulo (AC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Nick Farmen (SW) def. Erik Meendsen (AC) 6-2, 7-5
3. Grant Gideon (SW) def. Josh Granberry (AC) 6-4, 6-3
4. Preston Glasscock (AC) def. Haluki Nakayama (SW) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7)
5. Neik Khansari (SW) def. Will Crouch (AC) 6-3, 6-1
6. Jeff Kubena (AC) def. Ayinde Hall (SW) 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (15-13)
1. Gideon/Snovely (SW) def. Ambulo/Granberry 8-2
2. McCready/Ellis (SW) def. Meendsen/Glasscock 8-3
3. Farmen/N. Khansari (SW) def. Kubena/Crouch 8-2
Austin College: 1-3 (0-1)
Southwestern University: 1-1 (1-0)
Order of Finish: Doubles (3, 1, 2) Singles (1, 3, 2, 5, 4, 6)