KERRVILLE, Tex. - The Men's Tennis Team gave Colorado College everything they had today in the first round of the SCAC Men's Tennis Championship. The Kangaroos would come up short 5-4, but not before earning some newfound respect from the Tigers.
In last season's Men's Tennis Championships, the Colorado College Tigers dispatched of the 'Roos in the 5th place match, 8-1. This year was a much different story.
Doubles started slow for the 'Roos, with Lines 1 and 3 falling first. But Glasscock/Meendsen came up huge to prevent the sweep, winning Line 2 8-6 to bring the deficit down to 1.
The Kangaroos won a quick match from Kenneth Hardy at Line 4. The freshman dictated nearly every point with his ground strokes en route to a 6-2, 6-3 decision. Granberry would fall shortly thereafter, but Meendsen would level the score again for the 'Roos with a 6-2, 7-6 (8-6) decision on Line 2.
Ambulo would split against an opponent that beat him in straight sets the year before, but would fall 6-2, 1-6, 6-2. With the Tigers up 4-3, the final two matches would go on after the match time eclipsed 4 hours.
Glasscock would take the match on Line 5 6-3, 6-2 just as Oxenreiter won the last three games of the first set to close out 7-5. But the Tiger 6-man would find a second wind, and win 12 out of the last 14 games to clinch the victory.
Austin College 4, Colorado College 5
SCAC Men's Tennis Championships - First Round
1. Jason Gutierrez (CC) def. Cedric Ambulo (AC) 6-2, 1-6, 6-2
2. Erik Meendsen (AC) def. Daniel Holland (CC) 6-2, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Taylor Delehanty (CC) def. Josh Granberry (AC) 6-4, 6-2
4. Kenneth Hardy (AC) def. Brian Chen (CC) 6-2, 6-3
5. Preston Glasscock (AC) def. Jack Benham (CC) 6-3, 6-2
6. Casey Shaw (CC) def. Daniel Oxenreiter (AC) 5-7, 6-0, 6-2
1. Gutierrez/Holland (CC) def. Ambulo/Granberry (AC) 8-5
2. Meendsen/Glasscock (AC) def. Delehanty/Chen (CC) 8-6
3. Kitchen/Benham (CC) def. Kubena/Oxenreiter (AC) 8-2
Austin College: 7-6 (2-3)
Colorado College: 7-15
Order of Finish: Doubles (3, 1, 2) Singles (4, 3, 2, 1, 5, 6)